327. The Jam last nite
Massive jam on bridge
By J. SEBASTIAN
BUTTERWORTH: Bags of sugar fell out of a trailer on the Penang Bridge causing a massive traffic jam stretching as far as 2km from the bridge toll plaza here.
Traffic from Seberang Jaya, Prai, Bukit Mertajam and the North-South Expressway heading for the plaza came almost to a standstill.
The congestion following the 4pm accident yesterday was made worse about two hours later when office workers joined in the queue to head back home.
It was learnt that the bags fell out when one side of the trailer gave way at the 0.6km mark of the bridge.

THE CAUSE: Bags of sugar lying on the bridge forcing traffic to come to a standstill.
Among those stuck in the jam was Pauline Tan who was returning home from a working trip in Ipoh.
She said she exited the Juru toll plaza, about 3km from the Penang Bridge, about 6pm.
“Many motorists are squeezing through at the emergency lane, worsening the traffic snarl,” she said when she was interviewed at 8pm while still stuck in the jam.
“I don't know how long I will be here before I reach the Penang Bridge toll plaza,” she said.
It was learnt that some passengers missed their flights as they were not able to get to the Penang International Airport in Bayan Lepas on time.
Those who tried to avoid the congestion on the bridge by making a detour to the ferry terminal found themselves caught in yet another massive jam.
A Sultan Abdul Halim ferry terminal official said at the peak of the jam at 5pm, the queue stretched all the way to the district police headquarters about 2km away.
At 8.15pm there were still many vehicles queueing up to board the six ferries in operation, he said.
A Penang Bridge Sdn Bhd hotline official said the bridge was cleared of the sugar-laden trailer and its fallen sugar bags at 8.10pm.
“We had a tough time removing the trailer and its load from the bridge,” he added.
________________________
Got a call from the camera shop which I sent my Canon Ixus V3 (that died back in June) for servicing. It seems that they can't repair my camera because they no longer have the spareparts for it. They offer to upgrade to the Canon Ixus 50 if I top up RM385. My initial thought was that's it's under warranty. Shouldn't they upgrade for free? I mean it's not my fault. After discussion with my bros and friends, they all think it's a good deal. So I'll go over to the shop tomorrow and take a look. I might top up more to upgrade to an even better camera? :D We'll see how it goes la.
Massive jam on bridge
By J. SEBASTIAN
BUTTERWORTH: Bags of sugar fell out of a trailer on the Penang Bridge causing a massive traffic jam stretching as far as 2km from the bridge toll plaza here.
Traffic from Seberang Jaya, Prai, Bukit Mertajam and the North-South Expressway heading for the plaza came almost to a standstill.
The congestion following the 4pm accident yesterday was made worse about two hours later when office workers joined in the queue to head back home.
It was learnt that the bags fell out when one side of the trailer gave way at the 0.6km mark of the bridge.

THE CAUSE: Bags of sugar lying on the bridge forcing traffic to come to a standstill.
Among those stuck in the jam was Pauline Tan who was returning home from a working trip in Ipoh.
She said she exited the Juru toll plaza, about 3km from the Penang Bridge, about 6pm.
“Many motorists are squeezing through at the emergency lane, worsening the traffic snarl,” she said when she was interviewed at 8pm while still stuck in the jam.
“I don't know how long I will be here before I reach the Penang Bridge toll plaza,” she said.
It was learnt that some passengers missed their flights as they were not able to get to the Penang International Airport in Bayan Lepas on time.
Those who tried to avoid the congestion on the bridge by making a detour to the ferry terminal found themselves caught in yet another massive jam.
A Sultan Abdul Halim ferry terminal official said at the peak of the jam at 5pm, the queue stretched all the way to the district police headquarters about 2km away.
At 8.15pm there were still many vehicles queueing up to board the six ferries in operation, he said.
A Penang Bridge Sdn Bhd hotline official said the bridge was cleared of the sugar-laden trailer and its fallen sugar bags at 8.10pm.
“We had a tough time removing the trailer and its load from the bridge,” he added.
________________________
Got a call from the camera shop which I sent my Canon Ixus V3 (that died back in June) for servicing. It seems that they can't repair my camera because they no longer have the spareparts for it. They offer to upgrade to the Canon Ixus 50 if I top up RM385. My initial thought was that's it's under warranty. Shouldn't they upgrade for free? I mean it's not my fault. After discussion with my bros and friends, they all think it's a good deal. So I'll go over to the shop tomorrow and take a look. I might top up more to upgrade to an even better camera? :D We'll see how it goes la.
2 comments:
So what camera did you get in the end? Should push them for an upgrade to a DSLR, at least... :)
I ended up with the Ixus 50. Will only get it on wednesday. I'd love to get the DSLR, especially the Canon EOS 350D. The only problem is it's going for RM3200. Taking out the RM400, I'll still need to top up another RM2800. I'll pass ;)
Post a Comment