629. Funeral
My dad's younger bro passed away from cancer. Went for the wake on sat morning back in our hometown. I'm not really close with this uncle, but yet, I remember last time when he was alive and well, now barely 60, he passed on. 60, I wonder what i'll achieve by 60. Oh well, Que Sera sera.
As per tradition. we had to follow the hearse around the neighborhood before proceeding to the cemetary. While going around the block, we passed a wedding ceremony, and in Chinese tradition, it's a really really bad omen to have a funeral procession pass your house on your wedding day. I feel bad for the couple. But then again, surely the marriage won't fall apart coz a hearse drove by the house right? A good excuse though. :P
Along the way, we also passed my grandma's house. The place isn't the same as I remembered it. I remember a bigger compound. We used to go there every chinese new year until grandma sold it. I remember as a kid just hanging out with our relatives and sleeping on my mom's lap listening to the adults gossip. Also how my bros and I would play with firecrackers and run around all over the house and the well in the kitchen. Watch the "adults" shoot firecrakers at each other. Gosh, Chinese New Year used to be so festive back then. My uncle would take us on his bike to the nearby school to play. Ahhhhh, the simpler times. Oh, also I remember getting drunk coz my mom accidently let me drink a whole can of gin tonic...........hmmmmm.......maybe it wasn't an accident after all. I recall how they always complain I was hyper and all, kinda like Calvin. I'd dope Calvin for some peace and quiet. :)
My dad's younger bro passed away from cancer. Went for the wake on sat morning back in our hometown. I'm not really close with this uncle, but yet, I remember last time when he was alive and well, now barely 60, he passed on. 60, I wonder what i'll achieve by 60. Oh well, Que Sera sera.
As per tradition. we had to follow the hearse around the neighborhood before proceeding to the cemetary. While going around the block, we passed a wedding ceremony, and in Chinese tradition, it's a really really bad omen to have a funeral procession pass your house on your wedding day. I feel bad for the couple. But then again, surely the marriage won't fall apart coz a hearse drove by the house right? A good excuse though. :P
Along the way, we also passed my grandma's house. The place isn't the same as I remembered it. I remember a bigger compound. We used to go there every chinese new year until grandma sold it. I remember as a kid just hanging out with our relatives and sleeping on my mom's lap listening to the adults gossip. Also how my bros and I would play with firecrackers and run around all over the house and the well in the kitchen. Watch the "adults" shoot firecrakers at each other. Gosh, Chinese New Year used to be so festive back then. My uncle would take us on his bike to the nearby school to play. Ahhhhh, the simpler times. Oh, also I remember getting drunk coz my mom accidently let me drink a whole can of gin tonic...........hmmmmm.......maybe it wasn't an accident after all. I recall how they always complain I was hyper and all, kinda like Calvin. I'd dope Calvin for some peace and quiet. :)



No comments:
Post a Comment